Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Distressing Chipboard with Heat Embossing

Distressing Chipboard by Heat Embossing

I have used this technique a few times now, and various people have asked how I do it, so read on if you are interested ...

Materials needed:

Ink – one dark and one lighter

Chipboard

Distress Embossing Powder

Heat Tool

Emboss It Clear Ink Pad

Blending Tool


Ink your chipboard in the lighter colour (I painted my base white – so you can either ink or paint)


Once dry, apply Emboss It Clear Ink Pad all over your chipboard

Sprinkle your Distress Embossing Powder over it - I have used Walnut Stain


Using your Heat Tool, emboss until all your powder is melted – twizzers come in handy for this.

Let it cool down


Once cooled, with your fingers rub off the crystals to expose some of the ink/paint underneath – I purposely took more off in sections


Get your Blending Tool and lightly ink all over until desired effect is aquired.

If you cover too much of the base with Ink you can simply wipe it off with your fingers


Now Ink heavily on the edges, embellishment and attach to project

For the signpost I inked the base green

then American Crafts clear embossing powder

and black soot distress ink as the top coat



And if you aren't a follower of the extremely talented Melinda Spinks, our guest Designer this month - you should be!

She created a template for everyone to use recently - a love tree but I put my own take on it and turning it into a Boo Tree using the distress chipboard process with a white painted base, clear embossing powder, then blending peeled paint ink, spiced marmalade ink and black soot together for this layout



The pattern paper is Pink Paislee Twilight Dusk and Pink Paislee Twilight Eclipse

Distressed the orange brads with an emery board before wiping black black soot ink over them

The tag has spiced marmalade ink and black soot ink wiped over them and coated it with Inkssentials Crackle Accent


I dropped a bit of Black Soot reinker in the middle of our olive green and white flowers and wiped it randomly with a pin then gave it a coat of Inkssentials Crackle Accent

The 2 "O" are the numbers from the Thickers Black Glitter LAX - OMG we are out of them again! Will get an order in for them in the next week or so!

Part of our Halloween Ribbon with Spider Charm

I also used the black cat and 2 bats from the ribbon on this layout



The tree was embossed using the Sizzix Texture Embossing Folder Bricked and Woodgrain set which we are currently out of stock on - just awaiting for supplier to restock other Tim Holtz products so we can place the order ANYHOW I have one here so if anyone wants some embossing done onto cardstock I am happy to do it

Just purchase the cardstock and leave me a note at checkout and I will emboss it for you. I can get 4 to a 12x12 sheet.

I do have other folders that we have in the store, for my personal use so if there are any others you would like embossed shout out :)

The blending tool is currently OOS with our supplier but we will certainly be getting it back in as soon as available


Have a great day :)


5 comments:

Melinda Spinks said...

You are too funny! I love what you have done with the tree Tracy... it looks wonderful and grungy which is something that I envy tremendously because I couldn't do 'grunge' if I tried.

ann said...

You clever chick loving all these technique's....the fence is really awesome...I will be back later to have another look.
:) xxxxx

Brenda said...

Hi Tracey, Love the fence and found all your other tutorials too :) they are fantastic. Could you send me the fence tutorial as a pdf as I am saving them. I need fresh ideas and you seem to have a lot. Just loving them all.

Daphadills said...

These are wicked...love em!!!

Mel said...

Absolutely clever, the fence is truly stunning, you have so much inspiration each time I come here. Melxx