Friday, August 5, 2011

Birthday Sketch Competition .... layouts from the DT

Birthday Sketch Competition

Here is the sketch (created by DT Jess) with some of the DT's take on it
 



A big HELLLLLLO everyone! 
Corrina here
and I can’t tell you how good it is to step away from real life for a minute to actually catch some scrap time! YAY!! 

Its birthday month at my2angels, and Tracy gave us the challenge of a birthday page sketch first up. 
Nothing quite like having a working blueprint to kick start us off J. I decided to scrap my son’s birthday cake for the challenge – a molten mess of melting butter icing and gooey chocolate cupcakes to recreate a volcano eruption (complete with prehistoric companion!).


I used really bright and groovy papers from the Echo Park Little Boy range. 

(Now I noticed most of this paper is now sold out AFTER I did this layout. 
 I think this layout would have worked equally as well with the new Webster's Pages Let's Celebrate or Pink Paislee Hometown Summer Paper ranges.)
  
I cut two slightly different sized mats from the paper, inked the edges and layered them as per the sketch. I attacked the photo with an edge distresser to give it definition from the background papers.

 (TIP: inking the edges of very bright and busy papers can help tone them in together. It gives the pattern a full stop allowing it to blend better with other patterns/colours)

I added a great flag border from the Pink Paislee Hometown Border Stickers wrapped with green bakers twine(Thx Wendy x) and created my embellishment stack from the star stickers, a scrapware monster painted with acrylic paint and a Happy Birthday with Present Pins that I painted up to match my colour scheme. 
The title was done using word and letter stickers from the Little Boy range.


   

MATERIALS USED:
Papers and card: white cardstock, Navy cardstock, Echo Park Little Boy Papers (This layout works equally as well with the papers in the Websters Let's Celebrate or Pink Paislee Hometown Summer Paper ranges.)
Product Used: acrylic paints, Tim Holtz Distress Ink Tea Dye.

TFL 
Corrina



and from Wendy,


Hi, its been a while since I’ve been here, but it is nice to be back! I mean how could I not join in the my2angels 3rd Birthday celebrations by having a play with the fabulous sketch by Jess.
So here is my take on Jess’s sketch, it’s of my oldest sons 1st Birthday Party, so cute! (and almost 14 years ago!!!)



I have used some papers I have had for a while and ABSOLUTELY love, Bo Bunny’s Ad Lib range, which are just such ‘happy’ papers ... do check out what Tracy has left in and snap them up, you won’t be sorry. I have also used some of the stickers from the same range for my little words and word strips.  I’ve added a Boy with Cap charm on one of my word strips.




The green spotted paper (love spotted papers) is Pink Paislee’s Hometown, Summer Green Acres and the oval border strip is from the same range, Border Stickers with glitter.



Tim Holtz Tea Dye ink has been used to edge my papers and the pin is a my2angels original, Grunge Date Pins, which I have covered with a circle sticker and a word sticker, ‘wonder’.
Other alphas used are my favourite AC Thickers Daiquiri in both Black and Green.



The green bracket and letters I have used have been glossed with some Inkssentials Glossy Accents.  I also used this to highlight a few other things,  the ‘o’ in wonder, the camera on my word strips, the candle, the letters ‘st’ and the flowers on the BB paper.
To finish I doodled around the scalloped edge of my white background.

Other supplies used: Nightfall cardstock, Mounting Tape and Cuttlebug Embossing Folder on my Candle.
The stickers I used are no longer in stock but similar ones are available here

TFL
Wendy



and lastly, for today is
Cathy

Hi girls..
Here is my take on the birthday celebrations sketch this month. I changed it up a little and flipped the sketch on its side to fit in with my portrait photo of Brittany on her 15th birthday.

I decided to use a mix of Prima Reflections, Prima Madeline for the background and the hand cut letters in my title and also Prima Sweet Fairy for the frame around my photo.
I love Prima papers for fussy cutting and used them here to cut out some of the pretty flowers and butterflies to sprinkle over my page.

 

Some of my favourite Scrapware chipboard pieces are the doily frames.. just perfect for a girly page and I decided to cover the centre circle piece with the Prima paper to match in with my LO and added the cute present charm which I coloured with Tim Holtz alcohol ink.

The paper behind the photo was sprayed with water and crumpled, then swiped over with Tim Holtz vintage photo distress ink and framed with some of Tracy's gorgeous rhinestone chain to add a bit of bling. To finish off my title was made with the hand cut alphas from the Prima paper and some American Crafts Jewellery Box white alphas which wer inked and coated with Inkssentials crackle medium.

I hope my LO inspires you to have a go at our sketch challenge and can't wait to see some fabulous entries in our gallery.

Cathy

No comments: