Tuesday, October 7, 2014

"Grunge" Photo Wreath

My Circle of Grunge

Yeah, I know - I can only do sweet and pretty for so long, before I feel the need to grunge something up. So here is my grungy version of the 'Photo Frame Wreath".
I started off with a wreath, and covered it all over with our white butterfly felt ribbon. Then it was given a coat of Ranger 'multi medium matte' to give the felt and wreath a protective coating and to provide a surface that will hold any art mediums eg spray, paints etc.


Next I painted it with Kaisercraft 'pistachio', 'black' and 'gold' paint and embellished with layers of flowers, chipboard and charms (all relating to my theme of "Time Flies" - how quickly the Angels have grown up).  I picked embellishments that had different - but complimentary tones - so that after all the mists and other mediums are added they would give me a range of matching shades.



Once everything is dry, it's time to hit it with splotches of 'Apple' Glimmer Mist (love the gold base in this spray) and my homemade 'Vintage Photo' Glimmer Mist in random areas.  For a little extra 'grunge' I also added  a little black ink here and there.


Grabbing some acetate, I randomly stamped with a cog stamp and Stazon 'jet black' (this is the only ink that I am aware of that adheres to acetate) and added a few chipboard cogs and cog charms.
 To add interest behind my clock and photos, I adhered some cogs to the middle of the wreath as well.

I had an old drawer handle lying around - so I glued it into the top of the wreath and attached a bronze chain and some love charms.



My clock chipboard I painted with Kaisercraft 'pistachio' and black ink.  After painting and inking a few chipboard cogs, I popped the onto the clock face with my photos and attached to wreath (with jump rings) onto the border filigree to hold it secure.


To get that gorgeously grungy look to my chipboard angels wings - I started with a spray of water then I scrunched them up; and finally I painted them in gold, before applying a clear crackle paint layer with an overlying swipe or two of black ink.


Over the top of the angel wings I placed a small chipboard clock that was firstly painted green, before being embossed with Stampendous Black Embossing Powder. I've then wrapped some bronze chain around it, added a clock and heart charm and then adhered it to the wings over some black mulberry flowers.

The final step was to apply some 'Mint Green' and 'Brown' Inka Gold to highlight random areas on wreath.






2 comments:

Marie Mazz CAIRNS said...

love this so much Tracy, cant wait to see it IRL in class on Sunday x

Alison Bevis said...

This looks really grungy - looks like you had fun too!!