Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Summer with Kaiser's Periwinkle

Hello!

Michele here - with my first post for 2013.

Before I start on my layout, I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone at my2angels a very happy and safe New Year. It's been great fun being one of Tracy's team this year and I look forward to staying here for awhile longer in 2013.




My layout today uses Kaisercraft's Periwinkle collection. When I first saw these papers, I thought they would go very well with our often beach oriented holiday snaps in Australia and I was right. The creamy browns and turquoise blues are a perfect match for the beach and the russet and black accents provide a lovely contrast. The photo is of my DS, his partner and my DD's partner when my DD and her partner were back in Australia on holidays from London a couple of years ago. The location - TV's Summer Bay - in reality Palm Beach in Sydney.

My base paper is the very beautiful, multi-toned reverse side of 'Dawn'. Personally, I think this side should be the front - it matches the name perfectly, with some blues and soft pinks combining with the creamy brown. To bring out the turquoise a bit more and to add interest behind the photo, I have stamped lightly with two Darkroom Door Background Stamps - World Map, using Evergreen Bough Distress Ink and Checkered, using Weathered Wood Distress Ink. I also machine stitched around the edge twice and inked the edges a bit with Evergreen Bough.



 
Underneath the photo there are several layers of patterned paper. All have had their edges distressed and some have also been stitched. The russet piece is cut from the reverse of 'Morning Light' and the blue and cream photo mat is from 'Breathe'. Also from 'Breathe', I cut a strip to tuck between and under the other layers. You can see it at the top, on the left and on the right with diagonal cuts forming a flag shape. It is also reversed at the top - the flag shaped cream/russet piece. More strips are cut from the striped reverse of 'Shimmer' and the two thinner strips - Dream and the black on russett birds - are the manufacturer's strips from 'Morning Light' and 'Hint'.

Also tucked in at the top and the bottom of the photo respectively, are two pieces cut from 'Impressions' - A Moment to Remember, and part of a decorative frame above it on the page.

Embellishing the left hand side of the page are two Balloons cut from the reverse of 'Secret'. Their cut edges have been inked with Black Soot Distress Ink and they have been cut in a few places to allow them to sit both over and under the surrounding papers. I've popped them up on dimensional squares. Part of a frame from the Periwinkle Collectables Pack also sits on that side, as does the title of the layout, 'Summer' (both the time of year and the fictional locale), which has been spelt out using stickers from the Alpha Sticker Sheet and a tiny piece of Light Blue Velvet Ric Rac.



On the right, there is a scalloped border of the Acetate sheet 'Newsprint'. The scallop was cut with a Tim Holtz 'Alterations on the Edge Die', Scallops.



The remaining piece of this edge is right at the top of the page, partially covering three small Balloons from the Frames Sticker Sheet.


 
My flowers are a bit of a mix. There is a russett and cream Prima Kennedy Rosette, but in it's centre is a small, my2angels Brown Rose. The same Brown Rose is in the centre of my two 'home made' flowers. These are made by wetting, scrunching and drying a variety of colours of Mulberry Flowers, then unravelling them a bit and stacking them on top of each other. You can use just about anything as centres for these - buttons, bling, charms etc. I added a brown leaf from my stash, some Blue & White roses,  two larger cream roses and a Cream Rose Bud (coloured using Evergreen Bough Distress Ink and a water brush).

There are two my2angels charms in amongst the flowers at the bottom of the page. There's also a Jandals/Thongs charm and a silver Camera charm - which I coloured using Stampendous Aged Black Embossing Enamel. The small bird is a Prima canvas resist piece, which I coloured using Evergreen Bough ink and then sprayed with water and dabbed with a baby wipe to get the  blended depth of colour. Finally, there is another tiny piece of Light Blue Velvet Ric Rac and scattered around the embellishment clusters are some Blue Crackle Glass Round Beads and some 10mm Glass Cabochons.

My next venture using the Periwinkle collection is already underway. This time I am going to the opposite extreme and scrapping a photo of my daughter snowboarding in Canada. After that, maybe something from my collection of Heritage photos. A versatile collection? Yes, I think so :)

See you later in the month with them. :)
Michele




3 comments:

Sandie said...

beautiful layout!

Mazz's Scrap O'Clock said...

gorgeous and talented creative LO, beautitul pps.

Michele said...

Thank you Ladies! :)