Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas Canvas Ideas

Christmas Canvas Ideas

My Christmas Joy

by Wendy



I wanted something to put on my wall as a Christmas decoration so I came up with the idea of making a canvas/layout of my 2 boys using ornament shapes for the photos!

I started off with a 12x12 canvas which I painted with some red acrylic paint and after that was dry I painted on some silver acrylic paint sparingly and then rubbed most of it off just to give a hint of silver.

I made my LO using the gorgeous LYB Christmas Delight Papers, which are so easy to mix and match.

Using the LYB Christmas Morning-Gifts Galore for a base, I have then cut several strips of different papers to use across the middle of the paper, LYB Merry Bright Bands & Chestnut Carols and LYB Delightful Dots.

I have also cut out some gifts from LYB All Wrapped Up for layering with the other gifts across the bottom of the paper. The final strip is some Bazzil Kraft which I punched out using a lattice punch.

After layering the papers and adding the extra cut out gifts (some with 3d tape) I added a strip of my2angels Red Acrylic Chain with Rhinestones and inked up some Scrapware chipboard.

The word ‘JOY’, using the Antique Alphas and 4 Holly Photo Anchors.

After inking, I gave them both a good coat of trusty Crackle Accent.

I also crackled the little bird and the rest of my title which is a diecut and some letter stickers from my stash.

Now the most important part, the photos, are stuck onto chipboard (MDF) ornaments which I had in my stash from last year! (another unfinished project!!!)

After sticking on the photos I cut out around the ornaments with my craft knife and then sanded the edges I am very happy with the finished look. I ‘tied’ them on my LO with some my2angels Gold Satin Ribbon with Gold Stars and stuck the holly on next to the photos with some red ‘berry’ brads!

Finally I used some Kindy Glitz, Perfect Pearls (mixed with some Mod Podge) and Liquid Pearls to decorate my gifts (think all that KG Corrina has been using on her cards has finally rubbed off on me lol!!!).

When my page was dry I stuck it on my painted canvas using double sided tape.

Thanks for looking!

Wendy



From Taryn


I was lucky enough to get my hands on some of the gorgeous Everybody Loves Christmas range by Echo Park, and made a cute little Christmas canvas...


If you want to have a go at making one of these yourself, here's a few tips on how I went about it.
I started by cutting a random-shaped piece of card to fit just inside the edges of the canvas.


I covered it in the Snowmen paper, and added a few green hills, along with some Christmas
trees I cut from the Trim the Tree paper. I highlighted the edges with some distress ink, and some stitching, and then gave the entire thing in modge podge before mounting it onto my painted canvas using 3d foam tape.


I chose a Christmas tree from the Everybody Loves Christmas sicker sheet, and decorated it using pink rhinestones and a few charms.

I also chose a scrapware tree, and covered it in Candy Cane paper, inked the edges, and added some blue rhinestones, and a large silver rhinestone on top.

The scrapware houses were covered in patterned paper, and decorated with rhinestone chain, and I also used some scrapware mini grasses.


For the alphas, I used scrapware mini antique alphas, which I inked with distress ink, then followed with a coat of clear embossing powder, and sprinkled on a little silver glitter glass while it was still hot.
Hope you can use a few of these techniques on your next project, and even better still, hope you get to try the Everybody Loves Christmas range.

It is so bright and cheerful, perfect for our summery Christmas

Taryn



And lastly, from me Tracy


I just love the new paper range from The Girls Paperie , nice thick papers ... perfect to tear and distress. And the colours ... are my favourite and match so many of my photos kind of Pink / Raspberry and Green and since my top in this photo was so dominant well ... I had no choice but to use it ah?

This is my favourite photo to date of my angels and I taken back in August which is my Christmas present to myself and now sits on my computer desk. Whoops I mean when I open it up on Christmas morning it will go on my computer desk PML



I covered the canvas with Tinsel & Twig Deck the Halls pattern paper and black inked the edges

The scrapware Chipboard Flourish Arch was painted black then I heat embossed it with Metallic Silver and wiped it off which still hot, exposing some of the black base

Jut behind the flourish piece I cut up a section from the Tinsel & Twig paper - one side of this paper is a patchwork of patterns from the range. I choose the tiny rose blooms patchwork (they are so pretty and dainty)

Each of these papers on the border (you know the piece we usually cut off, has a small section from another contrasting pattern paper, so using the rose blooms piece I mounted this with foam tape to created a window sill

I covered the photo with acetate then adhered to the canvas



As it was around 5ish when creating this - it was wine time so I broke a branch off a tree from out the back, sat down with a wine enjoyed the sunshine and painted the branch black - it doesn't take long ... in fact I only just finished the glass ;)

See ... scrapbooking is a stress reliever LOL it might cost us lots but then so does a medical professional!





Randomly sprinkled with diamond dust (OOOOOOOO it is back in stock yipee) and twisted some of our new Black and White Stemmed Flowers to the branch

Using string I created a trail for the scrapware butterfly which was covered with another piece from the patchwork pp (raspberry dots on beige), diamond dust and black ink with cream stamens



These scrapware butterflies are so handy dandy to have in your stash, you get 14 per sheet in a range of sizes

After sticking the chipboard butterfly down I then attached the branch



Created a border with black lace , 2.4cm cream lace, small black flowers centred with clear black rhinestones
With our eye pins I added deep pink rhinestones and some flower jewellery findings I had

On the window sill I twisted black and white stemmed flowers and hung a made with love charm off them.

Added another handmade pin using our white pearls & spacer beads onto an eye pin
And lastly to finish off ... a butterfly charm

We hope we have given you some ideas of using canvas for your next OTP.
They are really cheap, I got mine from Crazy Clarks for around $2.50.

I am in the middle of this years Christmas OTP using a much larger canvas with some Scrapware Houses ... yes the house obsession continues LOL


9 comments:

Wendy said...

Love you little canvas Taryn! those trees and soo cute! I so love those alpha's don't you!!
Tracy you amaze me with your OTP's! so many details, so many treatments and LOVE those branches! Happy Christmas to you!!!

Mel said...

Wowsers, so much beautiful eye-candy here, my goodness, I struggle with Christmas papers and using them to create, so Wendy and Tracy this has so inspired me and Taryn, gorgeous work, your DT rocks Tracy. Melxx

Taryn said...

Lovely lovely work ladies! so much beautiful christmas inspiration here.

Mazz's Scrap O'Clock said...

scrummy! all so inspiring, I love those c/b butterflies Tracy :)

Sandra said...

So beautiful - all of them! Wow, great inspiration.

Liz Weber said...

Wowzers wowzers wowzers what a lot of gorgeous christmas goodness by you and your mega talented team Tracy! Love your gorgeous canvas, the photo is lovely and I just love the twig from the tree. I MUST get that paper range.

Loving the gorgeous Echo Park canvas by Taryn, just love that range when you use it.

The gorgeous My Christmas Joy canvas by Wendy is just devine, love the photos in the ornament shapes, very clever!

Thanks for sharing all these fab ideas ladies!

Unknown said...

All of these projects are lovely. So fun!

thatgirlblogs said...

OK, Amy, hoping you can help - we tried to ModPodge a gameboard and it would NOT stick. Did we need to sand the board first? Ended up using double sided tape to make the paper adhere, then Podged over that.

Anonymous said...

What an idea! I like your little Christmas canvas on wall. It seems lovely work of great designer. Nice preparation for Christmas. Pet Urns